Default How can one host multiple websites on shared hosting?

I have my website hosted on a shared hosting server but I was wondering how many more websites can be hosted on it? Previously when I opted shared server from another provider, I could only host 2 websites and limit only 60 connections to my sites. Is is the same for all shared hosting providers?

I too have used some shared hosting packages from different companies but never faced any issue. I used addon domains though never came through such issues and I could add more when required.
    It's important that you contact your hosting provider prior to purchasing a package to ensure you won't get suspended by their terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Coote View Post
    I too have used some shared hosting packages from different companies but never faced any issue. I used addon domains though never came through such issues and I could add more when required.
    It's important that you contact your hosting provider prior to purchasing a package to ensure you won't get suspended by their terms.
    I agree with Oswald's idea. Or maybe go for small VPS with 1 or 2GB RAM, so that you can host your websites without any limit.

Since you can have a small client with only one website and without any resource usage and other with same price with a huge website and thousands of MySQL queries per hour. You can limit usage for any hosting service. When it comes to VPS, it's still considered to be a shared server but resources are allowed by the user.

A shared hosting plan is actually created from the dedicated server mostly hence allows to host multiple sites on a single shared server. If you are allowed to host only 1 website, itmeans there is the limitation set by the provider. You can either upgrade to higher hosting plan where you are allowed to add more domains or ask to increase the limit by paying more whatever suitable options available.

There are reseller plans where you can add unlimited domains OR go with the low budget VPS plan where you get the root server access without any limitations to add domains.

I think a dedicated server should be able to run a big website but with shared hosting, you need to trust the hosting provider for the number of websites he stores in the server. I would say it would be worth to go for reseller plans with unlimited domains.

Originally posted by Gary McGain: I think a dedicated server should be able to run a big website but with shared hosting, you need to trust the hosting provider for the number of websites he stores in the server. I would say it would be worth to go for reseller plans with unlimited domains.
    As said by you that some hosting providers over sell their servers which isn't good for their reputation as well as for the customers as it can actually affect the speed.
    This is the reason behind reseller becoming highly popular even with people who aren't planning to start a hosting business.

Originally posted by Gary McGain: Since you can have a small client with only one website and without any resource usage and other with same price with a huge website and thousands of MySQL queries per hour.
    Exactly, I have some websites hosted with Hostgator in the past and I got suspended when its traffic increased over their limitations. I had to contact them to open site for backup files and left their host later.

You can limit usage for any hosting service. When it comes to VPS, it's still considered to be a shared server but resources are allowed by the user.
    What about a dedicated resource, it is still a "shared server"?

40% of our customers initially opts for a shared hosting package, later on they might upgrade to a VPS or a dedicated depending upon their business need. For basic websites shared hosting is the best option where you also get a technical interface (control panel) which is very user friendly. Talking about numbers of websites, the latest shared server technology gives you an advantage to host multiple websites provided you have enough disk space. Same goes with the email address, you can create unlimited email address for your websites.

Your primary website will be your master domain and the additional websites are called as Addon domains.