Default Need your suggestions

So I am facing hard time with windows 10 and I am looking at options...Linux is the first thing that comes to my mind...anybody can chime in and suggest me a good desktop environment apart from Ubuntu. I have heard about wine - how feasible it is towards Windows emigration?

OP you might want to have a look at Linux Mint, I've been using it since like 2 years now and only have good things to say. I cannot comment on Wine as I have never used it.

Why don't you go with with Windows 7 instead of Win 10?

As far as Linux is concerned, only worth running if you are running it on a server else not worth the hassle.

I know for a fact that Linux is way better than Windows...talking about 1k times. You might want to give ZorinOS a try if you want to use Wine and other windows capability features.

Ubunto is a big no but yes you can get up and running with Mint, it's easy to setup and the user experience is also quite nice. Wine is not recommended as, not everything is supported by it.

OP can you a bit more specific about the issue? Like is it because of the security issues or the updates part?

Quote Originally Posted by AshtonK View Post
    OP can you a bit more specific about the issue? Like is it because of the security issues or the updates part?
    Sorry guys I forgot to add that part and yes it has to with all the installation stuff and also about them spying on your computers.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW07 View Post
    Sorry guys I forgot to add that part and yes it has to with all the installation stuff and also about them spying on your computers.
    That's more like it....the only way I see this can be avoided is by not connecting to the internet...after all those updates are of no use. The other way around I see this working is to install a VMS and then prevent the OS from MS servers through IP tables.

Quite sure you can also set the connection as metered via the network and sharing center. Agreed this might not help stop the chatter to the MS servers, but it should help avoid the updates being downloaded.

Correct me if I am wrong but the next major update is scheduled to be on the 2nd of August, 2016...and at this time the free offer will end.

There is always a compatibility checker for one to crosscheck whether you can run a software on Wine or not.

Frankly speaking Linux is not a good option for desktop - as you will come across many issues with programs that you want to run. There are many options available for you, but they are not upto the mark.

I myself am a big supporter of Linux but you are better off using Linux for server, VPS, hosting etc. requirements rather than desktop experience.

The other day I was going through an article and it basically read why people hate Linux...maybe because they do not know how to operate or is it just too boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
    I myself am a big supporter of Linux but you are better off using Linux for server, VPS, hosting etc. requirements rather than desktop experience.
    Linux has it's advantages which are only available on Windows. The load is too much when you are on a laptop and the experience is something well worth.