Default What is the difference between cloud server and dedicated server?

I would like to the things that differentiate cloud server from dedicated server...

Cloud Servers can be scaled up and down without minimal effort, using software only. You can increase or decrease RAM, Hard Drive space. Whereas, a dedicated server means you have exclusive access to server hardware.

In Cloud Server you can only host websites and run your apps and it supports only those programming languages which the hosting provider supports but in Dedicated Server you virtually own a server to the extent that you can even change the OS of Your Server.

OP choosing the right ones out of the below depends on your specific need and budget. When it comes to dedicated hosting you are getting physical server that’s devoted entirely to a single entity(client). If online games and streaming media is your cup of tea then i say go with dedicated server. While, in cloud server you only pay for what you use, nothing more, and nothing less relies on a network of servers for its resources rather than a single server

In cloud server, even if one of the connected servers goes down, other servers keep on running. While in dedicated server, if one server goes down the hosting also stops.

Hello Team

I would appreciate if someone could answer few of my questions given below related to cloud vs dedicated server comparison:
    1. Can I achieve High Availability quickly and cost effectively?
    2. How quickly can I have resources online?
    3. Can I upgrade the RAM, disk space and CPU?
    4. Are tools available for building auto-scaling, auto-provisioning and auto management?
    5. Can I easily run cost effective segmentation of resources?
    6. Can I manage my servers on the go using a mobile device?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Scott,

I would request you to please help us with the kind of setup you are looking for this would give us an idea about what exactly are you looking for? Accordingly it would easy for us to understand your requirement and answer your queries.

Regards,
    Albie Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Hello Team

I would appreciate if someone could answer few of my questions given below related to cloud vs dedicated server comparison:
    2. How quickly can I have resources online?
    4. Are tools available for building auto-scaling, auto-provisioning and auto management?

Thanks in advance.
    Hello Scott,
    I have tried my best to answer most of your queries hope this is something you were looking for..
    >> Now the answer is yes for both Dedicated and Cloud hosting. The only key difference here is that with cloud servers this can be achieved in only a few clicks or even automated using an API, however with dedicated servers this is a manual process and that would require a scheduled maintenance window.

>>With cloud servers you can have resources online within minutes but with dedicated servers this can take considerably longer, even weeks in some circumstances.

>>Yes, in a cloud environment these tools are readily available via the community driven open development API. Whilst tools are available in a dedicated environment you may have to wait for vendor driven development.

>> Compartmentalizing your resources by function allows for easy scalability, management and resource segmentation and this very cost effectively achieved in the cloud. However compartmentalization in this way is very expensive to achieve with dedicated hardware.

>> Yes, both iOS and Android operating systems are compatible with cloud servers. This is not the case with dedicated hardware and management is a manual process.

Thanks and Regards,
    Edward Stone Earn up to $350 with bodHOST Web Hosting Affiliate Program
    Contact us: Live Chat | Email: sales[@]bodHOST[dot]com
    Ph: 866-662-0909, +1.302.294.5628

Hello,

I think cloud server is the best option for those businesses that don't want to spend more on optimization of IT performance associated with the purchase and management of a fully dedicated infrastructure.

While dedicated server makes a great choice for large businesses which require high level of data security or their servers running 24/7/365.

Thank you Edward and Pallavi for helping me choose the right hosting infrastructure for my website.

Cloud Servers are basically Virtual machines which are setup on a Cluster which includes a number of servers using a Hardware virtualization application. It Servers offer 100% uptime guarantee and high availability. Cloud Servers aren't offered with the amount of resources you can get with the Dedicated Servers. If you choose a Dedicated Server, all the resources and the entire hardware will belongs to you only.

Cloud server hosting will provide you with two distinct features – Fault Tolerance [FT] and High Availability [HA]. Dedicated server is great in terms of providing with complete hosting privacy. In terms of dedicated server, you may get a choice between the server hardware resources; this is not the case with cloud servers. The cloud server hosting plan also comprises of some of the features of dedicated servers. There is no significant difference in terms of the features offered by cloud server and dedicated server, cloud server hosting is more affordable as the cost of the entire architecture is shared between number of accounts.