Why do we need to use Linux Server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we need to use Linux Server?

I learned that any websites that are made in any operating system can be hosted in the normal hosting packages. So why is there a need to have a Linux Server? What can we get from having a Linux Server that is not available from the regular servers? Anyway, what platform does the regular servers run onto?

Hi Philly

With respect to your questions, I have answered them below:

Originally posted by Philly View Post
    I learned that any websites that are made in any operating system can be hosted in the normal hosting packages. So why is there a need to have a Linux Server?
    First of all, let me clear that sites are not built in using an operating system but the site is built in a (using a) programming language which can vary. There are many programming languages available to create sites viz. PHP, HTML, ASP, ASP.NET etc.

The operating system on your local machine does not make a difference to the sites you create on your local machine.

You have an option to choose Linux or Windows hosting plans while choosing a normal hosting plan. It is not possible to host sites created in ASP or ASP.NET on Linux hosting plans as Linux does not support ASP or ASP.NET.

It is not necessary to have a Linux server, however, customers choose Linux servers due to the several benefits it has over Windows servers.

For detailed information, you can check the link given below:

Linux vs Windows

What can we get from having a Linux Server that is not available from the regular servers?
    There is no such term as "Regular Servers". Every server has an operating system and the server with Linux operating system is called as Linux server and server with Windows operating system is called as Windows server.

Linux server is preferred due to the advantages offered by Linux operating system which can be read on the above link.

Anyway, what platform does the regular servers run onto?
    Most of the users prefer Linux operating system for the servers and if by the term "Regular Servers" you mean the servers mostly used then the answer is "Linux".

Please feel free to post if you have any further questions.
    VPS Hosting | Managed Dedicated Servers
    50% Flat Discount on Shared & Reseller Hosting Plans

Comment

@Philly: It seems that you have confused yourself by reading about regular servers which is actually a term rarely used in the web hosting industry and does not specify anything which makes it difficult for everyone to understand the requirements.

This is for all the users who are learning about web hosting (including me ;)) please go through sites which provide genuine information regarding web hosting as this would be beneficial. Information provided on some sites is only given to create new content and get good rankings in search engines which is not relevant and confuse customers as well as the readers :(

Comment

What are you referring Regular Servers with? All servers are regular provided the host is reliable.

Comment

I think you are really asking if you should go with Windows or Linux. If you can get around in Linux then to me its a no brainer: go with linux.

If however Windows is all you know you probably should go with that until you know what you are doing in Linux. Then again, control panels like plesk, cpanel, and Webmin will help you a lot with Linux.
          Jeremy J

* Bodhost VPS Linux Account Holder
          * Network Information Systems Professional

Comment

Re:

Linux supports a wide range of software, applications, languages, and databases such as PHP, Perl, PostGre, MySQL, PostgreSQL and many others making it very scalable. On the downside, Linux is not fully compatible with some Microsoft technologies so if you are using Access, ASP, MS SQL, or VB development tools then Windows would be a better bet.

Comment

Linux is cheaper and is easier to maintain security wise. At least that is my opinion. I do like windows hosting too, but only because over all I find it to be more user friendly.

Comment

Why do we need to use Linux Server?

I'm using Red Hat Linux and I have problems with HTTP dying randomly or not For more information on the Apache Nation, we suggest searching Google, or All The Web to continue to be an "open source" no-charge-for-use HTTP server,If you do need to run a proxy server, then you must ensure that you.

Comment

Linux is cheaper and is easier to maintain security wise. At least that is my opinion. I do like windows hosting too, but only because over all I find it to be more user friendly.
                  Same here! I like linux hosting a lot more myself. But if youíre new to this then I'd suggest that you go with Windows as you are already familiar with it. Once you get started and know your way around with Linux then go with Linux. Itís just better in my opinion.

Comment

Hello guys....!
                    Thanks for sharing information.....What do i need to make a Linux mail server possible...? Thanks in advance....Your suggestions will be highly appreciated..!
                    mlmleadsystempro

Comment

Re :

Linux server is used for hosting sites which built in Linux platform. Example developed in PHP language with MYSql Database.

Comment

Working...
                      X