No announcement yet.

Does a Domain Extension Really Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a Domain Extension Really Matter?

How many of you here think that the second half of the domain name is important? Does it really make a difference whether I choose .biz or .info instead of .com?

Hi Rebecca,

I would agree on the fact that the TLDs is important. It does make a difference in having different TLD based on your website and location as well. Unlike having a .com is for commercial purpose and is the most common and widely used, .Org is for organizations and .biz is for business websites. Likewise .mobi is for mobile websites, whereas the .info is intended for informative internet resources and then there are country specific extensions like .uk, .au, .in etc. which makes a great impact with respect to search rankings.

Comment

According to me, it hardly matters having a .com or .biz or .info domain extension. Although, it is always good to go for a specific domain extension which defines your type of business sector.

Comment

In my opinion, the domain name extension surely makes a difference. For instance, if you are operating in the UK market, then a .co.uk domain name extension will help you to get in touch with the right audience and will also help you to rank better in the respective search engines.

Comment

I think people are now quite used to with the idea that there are many websites without .com extension. Just determine which hosting extension is suitable to define the purpose of your website.
          Jeremy Calvey Earn up to $350 with bodHOST Web Hosting Affiliate Program
          Contact us: Live Chat | Email: sales[@]bodHOST[dot]com
          Ph.: 866-662-0909, +1.302.294.5628

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
            How many of you here think that the second half of the domain name is important? Does it really make a difference whether I choose .biz or .info instead of .com?
            It does not really matter what tld you choose as long it is relevant to your website. A .info for and ecommerce site would not be the best choice. So you get the drift?

Comment

Doesn't matter but it's good to choose a relevant one for your website. If you are targeting UK audience and have a store in UK, then you should consider using a .uk extension rather than a .biz or .com. See whatever is relevant as per the website and audience you are targeting. Another thing is registering other popular extensions while registering your primary domain name. If you have put up mystore.com then try registering popular domains like mystore.net etc too.

Comment

The domain name extension depicts the type of website you have. Apart from a country specific domain name extension, a .info depicts that your website is an informative website, a .org depicts that it’s an organization website, .edu depicts that it’s an educational website etc. Selecting the right domain name extension is important as the domain name is the first impression of your business website.

Comment

That's really a good question.

Lets take an example, most of our clients are professional photographers, now their patent or identical word is Photography, still they are using .com, co.uk, or .uk extension for their commercial websites, which was fine till now. However since ICANN have recently introduced a new extension which is .photography, most of our customers have changed their mind and now they have registered their new website with this extension and also published a new and fresh website. After registering the new extension, they have seen how much a positive impact it has created on their business.

So IMO right extension for your domain is really important.

Comment

Working...
                  X