PDA

View Full Version : CPanel as an add on option

RicherdsFi
08-24-10, 21:12
I was looking at this link reading up on services and see that it says that cpanel is an add on option. If one chooses not to use it what is the panel one accesses one's site through?

VPS Web Hosting, Virtual Private Servers at BOD Host (http://www.bodhost.com/vps-hosting.shtml)

Amelia
08-25-10, 23:44
I was looking at this link reading up on services and see that it says that cpanel is an add on option. If one chooses not to use it what is the panel one accesses one's site through?

VPS Web Hosting, Virtual Private Servers at BOD Host (http://www.bodhost.com/vps-hosting.shtml)

By default there is no control panel installed on the server. Although, we highly recommend cPanel or Plesk control panel for the server to manage your hosting.

AbbieGirl
08-25-10, 23:51
Does that mean those who do not pay for the control panel use a plain server ? I mean how would some one manage it then.

Amelia
08-26-10, 02:10
Does that mean those who do not pay for the control panel use a plain server ? I mean how would some one manage it then.

There are some customers who need plain VPS to run specific applications. Then there are some who prefer installing some custom control panels of their choice and they manage the VPS themselves.

Mitchel_B3ll
08-26-10, 22:00
I'm not savvy enough to know how one would run a server without a control panel. I couldn't do anything with my server without it. Do they use a remote switch or ftp?

carl owen
08-28-10, 15:01
I'm not savvy enough to know how one would run a server without a control panel. I couldn't do anything with my server without it. Do they use a remote switch or ftp?

It is possible to manage and use the server without control panel as well. Windows servers can be accessed and managed via RDP i.e. Remote Desktop Access, whereas, Linux servers can be accessed and managed via Root SSH Access.

FTP is File Transfer Protocol which can be used to upload or download files and databases on the hosting plan or server.

AbbieGirl
08-30-10, 23:47

Right, I cannot imagine using the server without a control panel. a Control panel makes it very easy to manage hosting accounts and also gives you more control on your server.

Rebecca
08-31-10, 23:56
Right, I cannot imagine using the server without a control panel. a Control panel makes it very easy to manage hosting accounts and also gives you more control on your server.

Very true. Control panel is very important for a server. You can restart services from a control panel, this is very useful. Manging emails, databases, files becomes so easy. In few clicks you are able to install softwares and scripts.

JeremyWJ
09-16-10, 09:53
Webmin is another great control panel. Best part is, it is free. You do have to install it yourself though. Although this is very easy.

In my opinion Webmin is just as good, if not better, than Plesk, Cpanel, or any other.

I will say though that if you have a Linux server, no matter your skill level, a control panel is a must. It will save you a lot of time and hassle. Windows you do have the RDP option that will allow you to easily configure many things like network connections and stuff, but you will still probably want a control panel for making those configuration file changes to MySQL, Apache, and whatnot.

To sum it up: Get a control panel. If you don't want to pay, get Webmin.

Katie9
09-30-10, 02:32
It is better to have paid control panel. The developing team will be there to fix and bugs and also give good support for any issues.

JeremyWJ
09-30-10, 12:36
It is better to have paid control panel. The developing team will be there to fix and bugs and also give good support for any issues.

Going to have to strongly disagree there. There are hundreds of people willing to offer free support to Webmin at a moments notice. In fact, usually you can get a reply from the creator himself if you have an issue within an hour or so.

Open source applications and projects, like Webmin, tend to have better support available in MANY forms than commercial (paid for) applications.

To add to this I have myself used their mailing list for support many times. Always got a quick answer and the solution. When it is a bug, it is promptly fixed. You will find though that Webmin is highly stable. More so probably than any other.

Amelia
09-30-10, 22:00
Yeah, webmin really provides good support. Also, since too many people prefer webmin, a lot of tutorials, help forums etc are available.

Rebecca
09-30-10, 22:53
I would still go with a paid control panel.

Katie9
09-30-10, 23:53
I know there is no harm in getting a free control panel if the support for that control panel is good. But you never know when the free provider stops providing support. no offense to webmin, this is a general comment on free control panels.

JeremyWJ
10-01-10, 09:54
I know there is no harm in getting a free control panel if the support for that control panel is good. But you never know when the free provider stops providing support. no offense to webmin, this is a general comment on free control panels.

You are forgetting one thing. Support for open source comes from the community not just the developers. Webmin could stop development TODAY and the main developers DIE today. Webmin support would continue for years. In fact, something as big as Webmin would just be picked up by someone else and development would most likely continue (be it under a new name).

To sum up my point though: Support, imo, should not be a reason to not use Webmin. In fact, the support you get with Webmin is probably better than paid support for cpanel from our friends in India (where most paid support resides).

carl owen
10-01-10, 16:48
It's not necessary that you would get good quality support only if you choose a paid application over the free one. Infact, some of the free applications available are offered with better support in comparison to paid applications and Jeremy is right in saying that support for such applications comes from open source community :)

The best example of this is Linux operating system. Linux is a free operating system but when it comes to support, you will get the best of it from the Linux community ;)

JeremyWJ
10-01-10, 22:29
It's not necessary that you would get good quality support only if you choose a paid application over the free one. Infact, some of the free applications available are offered with better support in comparison to paid applications and Jeremy is right in saying that support for such applications comes from open source community :)

The best example of this is Linux operating system. Linux is a free operating system but when it comes to support, you will get the best of it from the Linux community ;)

Exactly. I wish more people, especially businesses, would realize this simple truth.

Open source applications are usually better supported, less buggy, more secure, and have their issues addressed and fixed more promptly. You would think paid applications would be, but in most cases this is just not the case. Look at Microsoft (sorry to point fingers) but they will wait in most cases to patch their operating systems for up to 2 weeks no matter what. Only in rare circumstances will they go off this 2 week schedule. In the linux world if an issue is discovered today, fixed today, it's available today.

Another great thing about Webmin, and this applies to all open source software, is that if you have the knowledge you can modify ANYTHING about it you want to meet your needs. You can throw that out the window with any paid control panel (cpanel, plesk, etc). In fact, I have myself made a few personal modifications to Webmin for my own needs.

So here is the sum up: Pay and be handcuffed, receive good support. Go with open source and be free, receive great support all at no cost.

I know I shouldn't love money, but I do like to keep my money when I can. :)

PS: I think I got this topic off subject, but oh well. A point needs to be made.

Katie9
10-27-10, 02:10
Yes, this thread becomes off topic now. Anyways, for RicherdsFi, we all recommend a control panel for the server, you should have one to make things easy.