PDA

View Full Version : Can cron jobs only be used through cPanel?

Skipper
07-03-10, 07:57
I'm just curious about this - I've switched hosts a couple of times, but all of them have used cPanel. A couple of my websites utilize crons, and I'm not sure how I'd replace them if they were suddenly unavailable.

Rocky
07-04-10, 14:28
I'm just curious about this - I've switched hosts a couple of times, but all of them have used cPanel. A couple of my websites utilize crons, and I'm not sure how I'd replace them if they were suddenly unavailable.Cron jobs or scheduled tasks take place at predefined times or intervals on the server or they are a series of simple tasks executed from a script file.. when you switch hosts, the cron jobs are maintained in the cpmove_backup_file, along with all other data. They can be easily setup from the cPanel control panel interface.. you can use it just in case some aren't created automatically from the restored backup file. Also, I'm not sure as to what exactly would cause them to be unavailable & there isnt any alternative solution for crons, if in case they stop working. You need to contact your host to check as where exactly the fault is & get it sorted.. :)

carl owen
07-05-10, 18:10
We do have some Flash Tutorials available for cPanel control panel which includes a Flash Tutorial which will show you an easy way to create a Cron Job through cPanel control panel of your hosting plan. You can refer the URL given below for it.

Dedicated Hosting | VPS Hosting | cPanel Dedicated Servers (http://www.bodhost.com/cpanel-dedicated-server-hosting.shtml)

Hope this helps :)

Skipper
07-07-10, 12:40
when you switch hosts, the cron jobs are maintained in the cpmove_backup_file, along with all other data. They can be easily setup from the cPanel control panel interface.. you can use it just in case some aren't created automatically from the restored backup file.

Thanks, I didn't know that! I've always just set up my cron jobs again, from scratch, after switching hosts. This might save me some time!

I'm not sure if I was clear on my original question... I'm just wondering whether cPanel is the only control panel that supports cron jobs.

carl owen
07-07-10, 20:20
I'm not sure if I was clear on my original question... I'm just wondering whether cPanel is the only control panel that supports cron jobs.

Nope, other control panels like Plesk and Dotnetpanel also support cron jobs, however, cron jobs of cPanel cannot be migrated to Plesk or Dotnetpanel control panel due to the difference in their structure and type.

Skipper
07-08-10, 08:12
Okay, thanks for the answer! I've always recreated my cron jobs by hand after moving, so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for me. Glad to know that there's a quicker way to do it when switching to another host with cPanel, though. :)

carl owen
07-08-10, 20:32
Okay, thanks for the answer! I've always recreated my cron jobs by hand after moving, so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for me. Glad to know that there's a quicker way to do it when switching to another host with cPanel, though. :)

You are most welcome :)

There is absolutely no need to recreate cron jobs if you migrate from a hosting plan with cPanel control panel to a hosting plan with cPanel control panel.

Control panels like cPanel and Plesk allow easy migration if you are migrating from a hosting plan with cPanel and Plesk respectively.

Therefore, if you have any of these control panels with your hosting plan and you wish to order a new hosting plan with a new hosting provider, it is recommended that you choose a hosting plan with the same control panel for easy migration :)

Mitchel_B3ll
12-03-10, 10:00
I did not realize you could not migrate CRON jobs between control panels. Doesn't that make switching control panels a head ache? It seems like people who are new to hosting should know this up front.