PDA

View Full Version : Installing Wordpress through cPanel

webnubie
12-09-09, 23:25
I usually install Wordpress platform for my blogs through cPanel, using Fantastico. It is really easy. You just need to do a few clicks and you are done.

By the way, is there any difference between installing Wordpress using Fantastico with uploading it using FTP and installing it manually? I notice that the WP platform installed using Fantastico is not always the latest version.

g33k2b
12-16-09, 07:54
If you want to use the simple Wordpress blog then you can do the one click install but if you want to modify anything and have more control over the process then you will want to manually install it.

Martin
12-17-09, 03:14
Right! if you need a latest version then you should try installing it manually. Fantastico is updated after a periodic time. Hence, if the WordPress is updated just after Fantastico has been updated then you might have to wait for updated WordPress version till Fantastico gets updated for the next time.

However, installing it manually is a bit tricky for those who are new to this.

HelpHolly
12-17-09, 08:40
When you install manually is it an FTP type thing and fairly simple or is it something where I would need to add databases and whatever?

Thomas
12-19-09, 14:36
When you install manually is it an FTP type thing and fairly simple or is it something where I would need to add databases and whatever?

Hi, HelpHolly I have tried to explain the procedure for manual installation of Wordpress.

Before Installation Process

1) Download Wordpress Latest Edition Pack from Wordpress Site & Extract it.
2) Create a Database, Database Username & Password from your cPanel.
3) Rename the wp-config_sample.php file to wp-config.php
4) Edit the wp-config.php (Explained below)

Installation Process
1) Upload the files to the folder in which you want to install Wordpress. Say like if you want to install it to your root folder then it should be /public_html/ and if you wish to install it in a folder then it should be /public_html/FOLDER_NAME/
2) Change the permission of the file wp-config.php and CHMOD it to 777 for installation.
3) Run the install script, if it is on root then the path will be hxxp:// www. yourdomainname.com/wp-admin/install.php and if it is on a directory then the path would be hxxp:// www. yourdomainname.com/FOLDER_NAME/wp-admin/install.php
4) Filling up the Connection details: In the Database connection screen it will ask you the Database Name, Database Username, Database Password, Database Host and Table Prefix.
(i) You will have to input here the Database Name, Database Username & Password which we created in the STEP 2 of Before Installation Process.
(ii) In the Database Host, If the Hosting Server and Database Server are the same then it should be "localhost" and if the Hosting Server and Database Server are different then you will have to confirm your Database Hostname with your Hosting Provider.
(iii) In the Table Prefix keep it as "wp_" and if you want to run multiple Wordpress Installation in a single database then change it.
(iv) Click on SUBMIT.
5) Final Step: Enter your BLOG TITLE and your Email Id and click on Install Wordpress
6) You will get the Username & Password. The credentials displayed are the Admin Username & Password to manage your Wordpress Blog, so keep it carefully.
7) After the installation Change the permission of the wp-config.php file and CHMOD it to 644 or 655
8) Also DELETE the install.php file or rename it for security reasons.

Editting the wp-config.php file

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'DATABASE_NAME');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'DATABASE_USERNAME');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'DATABASE_PASSWORD');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

P.S: If you face any problems for installation please confirm that you have got all the correct database information and and it was correctly entered in wp-config.php file.

Mickey
01-25-10, 11:04
Right! if you need a latest version then you should try installing it manually. Fantastico is updated after a periodic time. Hence, if the WordPress is updated just after Fantastico has been updated then you might have to wait for updated WordPress version till Fantastico gets updated for the next time.

You are right about Fantastico being updated after a periodic time. But you can still easily install Wordpress using Fantastico and get the latest version of this blog platform. First, you do one click install as usual. Then you go to the admin area. If yours is not the latest version, you will see the notification suggesting you to upgrade it. Click the "update automatically" link (something like that) and you are done.

carl owen
06-03-10, 19:43
You are right about Fantastico being updated after a periodic time. But you can still easily install Wordpress using Fantastico and get the latest version of this blog platform. First, you do one click install as usual. Then you go to the admin area. If yours is not the latest version, you will see the notification suggesting you to upgrade it. Click the "update automatically" link (something like that) and you are done.

Indeed. Installing Wordpress through Fantastico is easy even if the version of Fantastico is updated, however, it might be possible that there is some kind of problem with the configuration of Fantastico with cPanel due to which the installation is unsuccessful. Therefore, it is important that you choose a hosting providers who offers round the clock assistance :)

centelo
06-04-10, 10:55
Exactly right, sometimes Fantastico can be finicky and every now and then I hear stories about it "freaking out" but most times as long as you have someone there just in case its bettern than ripping your hair out thinking you did something wrong rather than Fantastico. :)

Amelia
06-05-10, 02:54
Besides, fantastico doesn't update the software's very often. It's better to download it from Wordpress website and use the latest and stable version.

centelo
06-10-10, 12:58
I almost always end up auto installing then I will make sure its totally upgraded to the recent copy, then I go back and FTP to play around with addons and themes. I guess I do things the hard way. :)

Ri4h5ar88
10-09-11, 00:32
If you want to use the simple Wordpress blog then you can do the one click install but if you want to modify anything and have more control over the process then you will want to manually install it.
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/1.jpg
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/2.jpg
http://www.makemoneymakemoney.net/5.jpg

AbbieGirl
10-14-11, 02:08
since fantastico has now been replaced with softaculous, it is recommended to install wordpress and other popular scripts directly from softaculous. It has all the latest versions of the scripts. Most of the hosting companies provide softacolous now which comes with many useful scripts.