PDA

View Full Version : How do you know

Prowess
07-07-09, 05:14
How do you know what control panel you are going to need when getting your own hosting such as VPS or dedicated? I've no clue what I would need when it comes to this? Is there a magic CP that does everything? :dancing:

Cherry
07-07-09, 06:02
Is that something you have to choose? Each service doesn't just come with whatever CP you get? I think I am going to hate trying to figure out this hosting thing. Dedicated, virtual, ugh, they all sound high tech and over my head!
:drunk:

Amelia
07-07-09, 07:08
How do you know what control panel you are going to need when getting your own hosting such as VPS or dedicated? I've no clue what I would need when it comes to this? Is there a magic CP that does everything?

When choosing a Linux Server, we recommend choosing cPanel/WHM as the control panel. With Windows Server, Plesk works great.

Christina
07-07-09, 07:16
Yes, cPanel is the most popular web hosting control panel for Linux based servers.

bluetrance05
07-07-09, 11:19
If you are using Linux server, cPanel works best. However if you are using Windows as your operating system, the beta version of cPanel or Plesk should work wonders with your computer.

centelo
07-07-09, 15:08
cPanel is pretty simple to with work with and they have tons of tutorials out there for newbies. WHM is not that hard (at least it wasn't the first time I used it) but it did take a little getting used to.

Prowess
07-07-09, 17:02
So I could use cpanel on a window's system too? I think I'm starting to lean more towards windows, unless the software once I get the hosting is more. I need to find out more on that.

Amelia
07-08-09, 01:02
So I could use cpanel on a window's system too? I think I'm starting to lean more towards windows, unless the software once I get the hosting is more. I need to find out more on that.

cPanel is a Linux based control panel. For Windows we recommend Plesk.

Binary
07-09-09, 15:42
After reading this thread I have a few questions.

Does the choice of server (i.e. Linux Server or Windows Server) depends on the website you have in terms of its purpose?

What should be considered when deciding between linux and windows server?

I hope I haven't repeated any questions already answered.

BlueGigs
07-09-09, 16:10
I love cPanel; I feel like even when I'm not organized, my web space is! I can't imagine switching to anything else, sorry Windows. Cool

I once used a hosting service that had its own unique control panel - what a nightmare! I found out a month into my contract that they didn't support cron jobs and nearly threw a fit.

Amelia
07-10-09, 07:04
After reading this thread I have a few questions.
Does the choice of server (i.e. Linux Server or Windows Server) depends on the website you have in terms of its purpose?
What should be considered when deciding between linux and windows server?
I hope I haven't repeated any questions already answered.

You can host the Web site on Linux if it is not utilizing ASP, Coldfusion, MSSQL or any other windows based application.

Linux does everything that many users want it to, but some people have tasks that require Windows applications.

Cherry
07-10-09, 22:59
If you are using Linux server, cPanel works best. However if you are using Windows as your operating system, the beta version of cPanel or Plesk should work wonders with your computer.

Amelia, see above? This is where I became confuse in reading the responses. BlueTrance says there is a beta for cPanel OR Plesk so I assumed that meant either or as well. So cPanel=Linux ;) Thanks everyone! I'm glad other people are asking stuff too, so I don't have to ask it all. That would be a huge amount! lol

Amelia
07-11-09, 01:28
Amelia, see above? This is where I became confuse in reading the responses. BlueTrance says there is a beta for cPanel OR Plesk so I assumed that meant either or as well. So cPanel=Linux ;) Thanks everyone! I'm glad other people are asking stuff too, so I don't have to ask it all. That would be a huge amount! lol

BlueTrance was referring to the beta version of the Windows based control panel by cPanel.net. cPanel.net is popular for their Linux based control panel i.e cPanel/WHM.

Hope that clarifies it.. :)

Prowess
07-11-09, 13:10
BlueTrance was referring to the beta version of the Windows based control panel by cPanel.net. cPanel.net is popular for their Linux based control panel i.e cPanel/WHM.

Hope that clarifies it.. :)

Ok that makes sense too. I read it the same as Cherry and then was puzzled as well. So basically this thing is easy to navigate and shouldn't give me too many worries on doing the things I would need to do?

askaban
10-18-09, 01:24
I only know cPanel for the web hosting control panel ^_^. So there are many options of control panels. That's great cPanel have a beta version for Windows. I hope I will never need any control panel other than cPanel LOL.

mander
10-20-09, 12:45

I think that is how most hosts are doing it now too, but I am seeing random reports of more people wanting windows based servers. Is this the same with Bodhost? I could not afford it myself but the thought is still there wondering if I had one, what I would do with it.

Cannon
11-19-09, 04:53
Yes, cPanel is the most preferred web hosting control panel amongst most of the web hosts and because of its user-friendly graphical interface it's very easy to understand and administer your entire website. As, I am using Linux platform since last 5 years cpanel is very easy for me to understand. Those who are familiar with windows platform, Plesk control panel is the right choice for them.

DavidJ
11-26-09, 06:01
I have read the above posts and I was a bit confused. This hosting thing is not for the faint-hearted. :)

Is Plesk as expensive as MS products? How about cPanel, is there a fee to pay also? I would pay this control panels if they are reasonable and if I could afford it.

Because I started my website in Windows, I might consider Plesk. But if there is a way wherein I could convert my website, but it will surely takes time, for a Linux based server then I would get cPanel, no second thoughts.