PDA

View Full Version : Limit max emails per hour (cPanel)

Spooky
06-17-09, 06:46
Hi, guys. I'm using cPanel/WHM and I want to know if there's any way to limit the max amount of emails that can be sent per hour? If it's possible, does it also include the emails sent by PHP scripts? Oh, and what's the recommended max limit for emails? I want to discourage spammers, but I also don't want to hinder normal users.

JeremyWJ
06-17-09, 14:07
If you are running linux check out Introduction - What's j-chkmail ??? [j-chkmail] (http://www.j-chkmail.org/wiki/doku.php)

Vertigo
06-17-09, 14:54
There should be a setting in WHM that says Tweak Settings. Go there, then go to Mail. You should see a field called "The maximum each domain can send out per hour". Just change the number to what you want the limit to be (0 is unlimited)

The problem with the above method is that it only works on mail sent via SMTP doesn't on mail sent via PHP scripts. There is a workaround, though. In WHM, go to Security > Security Center > SMTP Tweak. That will force users through your SMTP server.

squishy
06-19-09, 07:04
Thanks, Vertigo, this is something I also needed. :)

JeremyWJ, have you tried j-chkmail yourself? It looks like a email filtering software, but unless I'm reading the page wrong, it seems it's meant for filtering incoming mail. Or does it also check outgoing mail?

Spooky
06-20-09, 22:11
Thanks guys! The tweak settings thing worked, and I also made sure to set the SMTP tweak. I'll go have a look at j-chkmail too as it looks interesting. :)

JeremyWJ
06-20-09, 23:51
Hi, guys. I'm using cPanel/WHM and I want to know if there's any way to limit the max amount of emails that can be sent per hour? If it's possible, does it also include the emails sent by PHP scripts? Oh, and what's the recommended max limit for emails? I want to discourage spammers, but I also don't want to hinder normal users.

I just remembered something, this only applies though if you are using a VPS. I'm pretty sure Bodhost limits VPS outgoing emails to 500/hour. Of course this is total, not per user. But it will stop anyone from sending a ton of spams.