PDA

View Full Version : Mambo upgrade from Cpanel/Fantastico

alyaly
06-16-09, 03:16
In Fantastico there is option of updating scripts, I have mambo 4.5.2 and it is
giving me option to upgrade to 4.6 I was just wondering if someone has tried this upgrade from Fantastico? Does it really work? Somebody Help Me

surreality
06-16-09, 03:18
I haven't tried it, but it should work. I advise that backup all your files and databases before you upgrade, though, just in case something goes wrong. That way if it does, you can just re-upload your backup.

techgirl
06-16-09, 03:20
I would never use a Fantastico upgrade. Do a Google search and you will see many instances where these upgrades have gone wrong. If you do decide to try it please make sure you do a full backup of your files and your database before you start.

markrd
06-16-09, 09:20
I'd do some research on this one if I were you. Or perhaps hire a professional like the Bodhost team. I've never done this myself, but I would think it would be like most any other upgrade.

userdan
06-16-09, 10:19
Techgirl's right, it's always best to upgrade the way the script makers have intended. As much as possible, always try to upgrade manually. Upgrades can break whatever addons you might have, so at least this way it will be easier to minimize the damage.

lucy2u
06-16-09, 10:52
I've done some of the upgrades and not had any problems to speak of. But that's not to say they don't exist. It seems to be a normal process when doing this type of work, that there is usually going to be something, somewhere that isn't going to work right. But, everything is fixable.

Jenny Walker
06-16-09, 22:05
May I ask why you use Mambo instead of Joomla? They're basically the same thing, aren't they? I think Joomla is easier to upgrade, too. If you want, you can try migrating from Mambo to Joomla instead, which should help you avoid this kind of problem in the future.

userdan
06-20-09, 06:29
It's going to take a bit of work migrating from Mambo to Joomla. Well, to be honest, I don't really like either one. Still, Joomla does look easier than Mambo to upgrade.

Anyway, alyaly, if you find that you're having difficulty upgrading Mambo manually, then go ahead and use Fantastico to upgrade. Just be sure to do like surreality said and backup.

alyaly
06-20-09, 11:08
It's going to take a bit of work migrating from Mambo to Joomla. Well, to be honest, I don't really like either one. Still, Joomla does look easier than Mambo to upgrade.

Anyway, alyaly, if you find that you're having difficulty upgrading Mambo manually, then go ahead and use Fantastico to upgrade. Just be sure to do like surreality said and backup.

Thanks Userdan, I will have to think about this a little more before I do anything. At this point, I'm not sure what I want to do, so most likely, I will do the Fantastic upgrade. Thanks for your help.