PDA

View Full Version : Plesk looks nice, but how to transfer from cPanel?

Jenny Walker
06-02-09, 23:13
Like the title says, Plesk looks really nice. I had a look at the demo and it actually looks a whole lot better than cPanel. It's a little different, yeah, but not too different, so I think I can get the hang of it. The 10 domain license is also lot cheaper. ;)

My question is, how do you transfer your files and stuff from a cPanel account into Plesk? cPanel has a full backup feature, but I don't think Plesk can use cPanel backups. Is there also any way to transfer the emails?

sandybeach
06-03-09, 04:14
Hi Jenny Walker, just wondering where you were able to view the Plesk demo? This is something I'm interested in seeing myself.

Amelia
06-03-09, 06:37
My question is, how do you transfer your files and stuff from a cPanel account into Plesk? cPanel has a full backup feature, but I don't think Plesk can use cPanel backups. Is there also any way to transfer the emails?

That's right, Plesk cannot use the cPanel backup file. You can manually transfer over the files on to the new server via a FTP client. For emails, you can download them on your local machine by using any email clients that you have.

Amelia
06-03-09, 06:43
Hi Jenny Walker, just wondering where you were able to view the Plesk demo? This is something I'm interested in seeing myself.

You can check the latest available Plesk demo only at their official website

sandybeach
06-05-09, 20:19
Amelia, You Rock I viewed the demo already! Thanks for guiding me as to where to go. You're awesome!

Amelia
06-06-09, 06:57
Amelia, You Rock I viewed the demo already! Thanks for guiding me as to where to go. You're awesome!

You're most welcome.. and if you have any further questions please feel to post.

Jenny Walker
06-08-09, 10:02
So transfers are manual only? *pouts* I don't suppose there is any way to automate it even just a little, like perhaps FTPing from cPanel to Plesk without having to go through my PC? My ISP's speeds aren't the greatest so if there's any way to make it just a bit faster, that'd be great. :)

carl owen
06-08-09, 12:53
So transfers are manual only? *pouts* I don't suppose there is any way to automate it even just a little, like perhaps FTPing from cPanel to Plesk without having to go through my PC? My ISP's speeds aren't the greatest so if there's any way to make it just a bit faster, that'd be great. :)

There is an easy solution for you. What you can do is, you can take the backup of your account on cPanel server on the same server. Once you have taken the backup in tar.gz, you can download the backup on Plesk server and then extract the files of your account on Plesk server.

By this method, you won't have to take the backup of your cPanel server on your Local machine and then upload it on Plesk server and hence you will save time and effort.

sandybeach
06-09-09, 08:22
I'm just wondering if it's worth the move? I currently use CP and would be interested in Plesk, but not sure if it is worth the move?

Jenny Walker
06-09-09, 22:26
I'm just wondering if it's worth the move? I currently use CP and would be interested in Plesk, but not sure if it is worth the move?

It really all depends on whether you like Plesk enough. If Plesk interests you enough to make the move, then it's worth it. Myself, I love how Plesk handles domains, giving each domain its own control panel, unlike cPanel which puts all addon domains as a subfolder of the main domain. This means that if you're a consultant or designer who makes websites for clients (or even just someone who wants to better manage their multiple domains), then Plesk will make things a whole lot easier for you. That, in my book, is worth hassle of moving and learning how to use a new control panel.