PDA

View Full Version : Home made control panels

centelo
03-06-09, 13:34
Am I the only one that has issues with hosts that use not run of the mill type panels? I know a friend of mine wanted help with transferring over his host with a (crappy name not mentioned) company and they had something that if the terms "bubble gum and duct tape" came to mind, this would be it.

Do all major and working to be major companies out there only support the popular panels or is there some reason these crazy places do not want to use things like cpanel and plesk?

bod-jack
03-06-09, 14:51
Cpanel and Plesk are the most powerful control panels. Many hosting providers do not prefer to use Cpanel or Plesk because it is bit pricey and they use their own customized control panel.

Bodhost
03-06-09, 16:43
In that case, they prefer LXadmin or Webmin where they save more on the control panels. However, this is not suggestive in case they are looking for more features in comparison to cPanel or Plesk. :)

Regards,

Shane Phillips

centelo
03-07-09, 13:46
I know of Webmin a little but not of LXadmin. I was thinking more of those ones that really do look like phooey (for lack of a word that would be censored). I helped someone who was trying to get like 30 some odd sub domains transfered from host A to host B, well their setup was like the WYSIWYG for control panels, it was just bad. So bad I almost cried telling the friend "I have no idea how to get your stuff off their stuff."

How well does LXadmin work?

Amelia
03-08-09, 00:28
Heard some good reviews about LXadmin. It is known as the world’s lightest control panel I believe because of the Low memory usage it has. I haven't personally used it though.. Anyone on it?

bluetrance05
03-08-09, 02:53
How well does LXadmin work?

LxAdmin is a property type of webhosting cPanel only used by host administrators running a site of their own for profit, and is used on Linux and Windows OS. It could be similar to cPanel and Plesk but the difference is it uses up 9 megabytes RSS and 15 megabytes memory usage. If cPanel and Plesk are integrated with Fantastico, LxAdmin is integrated with Installapp or Installatron.

php_rules
03-08-09, 06:35
I have used webmin a few times - it's not bad, its pretty powerful, but, imho not as good as cpanel. I have made a couple of my own control panels before, mainly to learn how to code for that sort of thing, only then can you appreciate the ammount of work and skill that goes into software like cpanel!!

centelo
03-09-09, 13:53
Yea I hear you on the time it takes to get things like this working and most never realize it. Not until I started to dig a little deeper into the things that make our lives easier did I really understand why code monkeys go blind earlier than the rest of us in life. I could never state at code for a full day of work, even an hour might mess with my vision. I appreciate the things like cpanel, but I wondered if its worth it to test out any others too. I am really thinking I want to get a play server just to test things out on and expand what I already know.

Bodhost
03-09-09, 15:12
That's good to know. Learn more of the basics, improve your knowledge and then proceed to another interface and explore.

Regards,

Shane Phillips

php_rules
03-09-09, 15:49
code monkeys go blind earlier than the rest of us in life
lol!! I sometimes have to stare at a screen of code for a whole day, sometimes even for a whole week! it does help if you make the background of your editor dark and enable syntax hilighting, but the best thing you can do is to take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes!

centelo
03-12-09, 13:11
Yea I have done the light/dark switcharoo a couple of times just for random things, but more than not it tells me/you/the rest reading that we are all going blind for some reason or another. I would check to get glasses or something that really sucks when many of us are fairly young having such bad eyes. I have started taking breaks from the computer so my eyes can adjust. :D

On the note here though, yes Shane that is what I am working with. Sometimes I start of and just want to be a hardware geek, then I swap over to the land of software and I like both so I am kind of stuck with many "to do" lists of things that I have on back burners, right now is a new machine I am bringing up I hope in the next week as a play toy. ;)