PDA

View Full Version : 290 petabytes?

bluetrance05
03-01-09, 06:14
I have a website hosted by the hosting company where I registered for a hosting plan package. I get 300 gigs per month and I noted in my cPanel that I am getting 290 petabytes. Did the hosting company made a mistake or what? How many gigs are in 290 petabytes? What does that mean? :confused:

Windac
03-01-09, 13:27
I'm not sure if they made a mistake but 1 petabyte is equal to 1000 GB. Meaning you have 290 000GB....I'm pretty sure its a mistake because that is a lot of webspace. Good luck on getting it sorted.

bluetrance05
03-02-09, 06:27
I guess you're right, the hosting company just made a mistake. My website is not that popular, only websites that are very popular like Facebook or Google certainly have that kind of big file size!

Bodhost
03-02-09, 10:09
If that was true. Then, you have a very good deal from them in terms of pricing. :D

I hope you not paying more or less than what's required.

Regards,

Shane Phillips

carl owen
03-02-09, 13:12
It is possible that your web hosting provider has made a mistake while assigning the resources. Otherwise, it is also possible that your cPanel is providing you the wrong information. I would suggest you to contact your web hosting provider asap with regards to this issue or they may charge you a lot and say that you have used these resources.

php_rules
03-08-09, 06:44
wow! Thats a lot of storage space!! Imagine what you could do with it. Well, after you had downloaded all the information on the internet twice you would probably still have half your space left !!!!!

Sentinel
03-08-09, 10:20
wow! Thats a lot of storage space!! Imagine what you could do with it. Well, after you had downloaded all the information on the internet twice you would probably still have half your space left !!!!!

According to google you could get 29696 libraries of congress in that space!!! (assuming that one library of congress is 10 terabytes, though thats not counting if it was zipped and the images removed =)

Bodhost
03-09-09, 15:10
According to google you could get 29696 libraries of congress in that space!!! (assuming that one library of congress is 10 terabytes, though thats not counting if it was zipped and the images removed =)

That makes sense. But Petabytes is indeed a lot of storage space.

Regards,

Shane Phillips

aliya
03-09-09, 15:16
I don't think that with Shared, Reseller or VPS hosting package you will get 290 TB.

carl owen
03-10-09, 17:21
Correct. Even if a single Dedicated server won't be able to offer you that space. You will find a hosting provider who can claim that he will offer you Unlimited disk space and bandwidth etc. Please be Advised that Unlimited Disk space and Bandwidth is just not possible and this is just a statement to attract customers.

Windac
03-16-09, 07:13
On a shared hosting service, isnt unlimited whatever you can put on without using up all the resources on that one server?

Also, I think it might be impossible for 290 PB to fit on one server....

Bodhost
03-16-09, 08:44
Definitely not. This is possible on a very high-end server configurations. HP provides servers which need Data Storage in PetaBytes.

Regards,

Shane Phillips

Amelia
03-17-09, 01:58
Hey bluetrance05, just curious to know if you could get any clarification from your hosting company?

bluetrance05
03-18-09, 12:27
Hey bluetrance05, just curious to know if you could get any clarification from your hosting company?

I already contacted the hosting company about this and it's clear that the hosting company made a mistake. Three months ago I paid their advanced hosting plan that has a 3GB diskspace and a 50GB bandwidth feature before such gigantic notice in the cPanel caught my eye. Now everything's running good and I'm worry-free because they deducted their service charge for such mistake.

Amelia
03-19-09, 01:03
Great news :) glad you got everything sorted.