PDA

View Full Version : cPanel and FTP

bluetrance05
02-28-09, 03:42
Are the two subjects similar? When I had my first website published to the remote site, I used cPanel to upload my webpages and when I opened the FTP (which is Filezilla Client 3.2.2.1), the webpages that I have uploaded from the cPanel appear at my local site in Filezilla. If I uploaded my webpages in the Filezilla, the files also appear in cPanel. Are both somewhat connected through the same Host and Port address?

carl owen
02-28-09, 11:00
The files you upload from cPanel and FTP are uploaded in the same folder (basically the same place). Hence, if you upload the files from cPanel then you will already find them uploaded and you won't have to upload them through FTP again.

iamsam
05-30-09, 08:53
Heya, bluetrance05! cPanel and FTP are actually two very different things. cPanel, like the name implies, is a control panel that manages all aspects of your hosting account, from domains to email and file management (and much more). FTP (short for File Transfer Protocol), on the other hand, is a method by which files are transferred from your local computer onto the server. The method of transfer is different from the way cPanel does it (cPanel uses a web-based interface), but like carl says, you can transfer files to same place regardless of whether you're using cPanel or FTP.

Amelia
06-01-09, 03:15
The gist of it is -- FTP is built on a client-server architecture and utilizes separate control and data connections between the client and server applications.

We hope all this information helps answer your questions and concerns.